Ergonomy of development experience and common reproducibility questions around maintaining degrowth.net

Dear Osuny community,

I’m coming here as a systems integrator involved in maintaining the osunyorg/idn-website together with the IDN it presents at degrowth.net/. While this regularly involves chores around technicalities of day to day application and platform provisioning, the involvement switches to more development related activities of development activities.

This thread reproduces a conversation from a private channel and boils down the individual parts in separate conversations, where applicable.

Who wants to learn more about the Noesya coop and the Osuny app can inform themselves at plenty of locations. In summary, it is a large ecosystem and community of organisations and individuals, who build a web publishing house together. The cooperative is constructed transparently and aims at achieving high aesthetical and ethical standards, of which many are met. All of which is good to keep in mind when delving further.

References

Entry points

Portfolio

Technical artifacts

Highlight

Source codes

and also the many websites in the osunyorg/ and noesya/ GitHub organisations.

What interests me today are mainly the two directions in which I have come to get in contact with Osuny. One primarily by interacting with the people from Noesya and DeuxFleurs that make it work and the other by interacting with the produce and applying its technicalities for the International Degrowth Network, currently the degrowth.net/ and explore.degrowth.net/ websites.

These stories can be told independently, why I am leaving this post as a hub to point at them and to discuss their global interworkings, while maintaining two independent conversations for the details of these seemingly orthogonal subjects.

The commoning cooperative Noesya

When I look at the side of how the people organise around Osuny and Noesya, I am given a lot of information and the organisation and project are organised exceptionally well out in the open in the public. Critical information is freely accessible and there are many ways to approach the shared work.

There is a lot of conversation and publication going on around ideas of establishing cooperative enterprises, as well as documenting the ongoing experimentation with building the Osuny as a computational common. In the first piece I will explore this space to collect information about the direction the work is taking and which principles guide it.

The common system Osuny

When I place my attention at the practicalities involved in realising an Osuny website technically, I am finding further manual documents and artifacts, which link conceptually to what’s presented above. A case study derived from working with the application will allow to comment on the relatedness between the two given domains of enquiry.

The technical focus for a distributed systems engineer is to look out for levels of indirection that capture the system’s side-effects. And due to the modular architecture of the platform, there are many. As it is stated, that « great claims need great corroboration », we will be able to identify the movable parts of the system, when approaching the architecture with scrutiny. The findings shall feed into evaluation of the hypothesis, that it is possible to replicate the Osuny Common with means that themselves lie in the Commons.

In particular I’m observing this perceived duality in approaching the space from the perspective of an article in ACM Queue from 2020: Above the Line, Below the Line - ACM Queue.

In general the presented argument is situated on top of a fundament of an architectural design theory that seeks to find and use lightweight generative patterns for humans to care for the emergent properties of their systems, with all intricacies and affordances required.

The post will be updated as we go.

Hi @arnaudlevy !

I was coming here to add the link to

but I can’t edit my post anymore. Would you be able to increase my trust level, the time limit for edits or change the post to wiki, so it remains editable?

My writing style involves various backward and forward cycles which eventually piles up enough interrelated text in multiple places. Editing earlier writings is needed to keep them updated with later ones.

Thank you for looking into this!

1 « J'aime »

The next part has arrived with:

Et la partie dernière: